A Halloween inspired pomtass chandelier!
For this project you will need:
- 2″ ring
- 8″ hoop
- Nylon cord
- 10 paper straws cut into 28 -2 1/2 inch pieces
- Card stock (1 – 12×12 sheet is plenty)
- 1-2″ hole punch
- 1/4″ hole punch
- Yarn in orange, black, and white
- Pom pon / tassel tool
- Black felt
- Paper scissors
- Fabric scissors
- Hot glue
- Googly eyes
- Binder clips
Prep all the pieces:
- Cut 28 pieces of straw.
- Punch 20 card stock circles and punch a 1/4″ hole in the middle of each circle.
- Make 1 orange pompon for the pumpkin. Cut out a Jack-O-Lantern face; attach with hot glue.
- Make 4 white tassel ghosts. I opted out of a ghost face, but you can add googly eyes or a felt face with hot glue.
- Make 4 black pompons for bats. Cut four sets of felt bat wings. Sew on bat wings by attaching to the pompon’s tight center cord. Add googly eyes with hot glue.
- Cut 4 5-foot strands of cord.
- Fold all cord strands in half. Tie strands onto a ring with an overhand knot.
- Hang cords so it’s easier to work on your chandelier.
- String on a design, working with cord pairs. (i.e., string design onto 2 cords at a time). For the top of the chandelier, string on 4 pieces of straw and 3 paper circles. Alternate between straws and paper circles. Use binder clips to hold your design in place.
- Attach to hoop using double knots. Space cord pairs evenly around the hoop.
- Continue your design. After the hoop, add 3 pieces of straw an 2 paper circles.
- Combine all cords in the middle with a knot.
- Glue bat pompons onto the ring.
- Add ghost tassels to the hoop using the ‘luggage tag’ knot.
- Add pumpkin pompon by sewing through the tight center cord and knotting. Tuck loose cords into the pompon and trim excess.
The bats turned out way cuter than I imagined. Excited to use this for Halloween decor! Maybe I’ll attach a string of lights for night time sparkle.
Happy Halloween crafting! Are you making any decorations this year? Share what you’re making below.
For a refresher on pompons and tassels, see our friends at The Loome.