Here’s a fun one for you Halloween lovers: glass lanterns! It’s perfect for all ages, makes a great family craft, and they’ll look so good on your window sill, front porch, fireplace… anywhere!
For this DIY you will need:
- A glass jar, any shape
- Decoupage glue (my favorite brand is Art Minds)
- Foam brush
- Dish for glue (cover with foil or plastic wrap for easy clean up)
- Tissue in festive colors
- Black paper
- Pencil (optional)
- Halloween shape templates (optional)
- Lights (battery operated works nicely)
- Tear or cut tissue into strips, squares, or shape of choice. I recommend keeping your pieces small/thin, especially if your glass jar has curves.
- Apply glue to your jar using the foam brush, place a piece of tissue on the jar, and apply another coat of glue on top of the tissue. Repeat until the entire jar is covered in tissue. Make sure all of the pieces get a nice coat of glue.
- Cut out your Halloween shapes. Bats, ghosts, haunted houses…whatever you like. You can also print an image, trace it onto black paper, and cut it out.
- Attach the images to the jar. If the tissue layer is already dry, add another coat of glue, position your image, and apply another coat of glue on top.
- A final top coat is optional. Allow to dry completely.
- Place light inside. Try a string of lights for a ‘firefly’ effect or a tea light.
- Add the lantern to your Halloween-scape and enjoy!
These are too fun to make. Here’s a haunted house lantern my friend made!
I might need to create lanterns for every holiday!
What other designs would you create? Share below!